Marketing & Social Media Coordinator
Application deadline: Friday, Sept.1, 2017 at 1 p.m.
Summary of the Position: Vancouver TheatreSports™ (VTSL) is seeking a marketing and social media coordinator. This is a permanent, full-time position.Reporting to the Director of Marketing, you will play a key role in driving social media customer engagement, while helping to grow brand awareness and be a voice for the company in the social media community. You are passionate about social media, digital marketing and enjoy the challenge of keeping up with the fast paced emerging world of social media. You have a strong understanding of online reputation management, and are a strong team-player and multi-tasker. Typical tasks or projects include (but are not limited to): Creating and scheduling social media content, creating paid social advertising campaigns, reporting social media results, writing promotional emails or advertorials, answering media inquiries, applying for advertising space with on-going partners, video production, participating in marketing planning, and organizing opening night events/ guest relations.
This position is ideal for a marketing and social media coordinator who:
- thrives in a collegial, creative and fast-paced environment
- is eager and able to keep up with the ever-changing digital world
- is able to juggle a number of different projects at once
- wants to contribute as a member of a creative, dynamic team
- is outgoing and enjoys engaging with the public
In 1980, a group of Vancouver actors came together, formed a co-op and experimented with a newly evolving theatre genre, TheatreSports™, which gave birth to the entire realm of improv comedy. Since then, the company has evolved to become Vancouver’s, and one of North America’s, leading improv comedy companies – Vancouver TheatreSports™ League (VTSL), with an annual budget in excess of $2 million. A registered not-for-profit charity, VTSL provides employment for nearly 70 people (cast, admin staff, front-of-house staff, bar staff) and owns its own theatre, The Improv Centre – a fully-licensed venue with a Bar & Lounge on Granville Island. VTSL currently performs 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year producing close to 700 individual performances that attract more than 60,000 patrons each year. It also operates a fully professional theatre school, The Improv Comedy Institute. In addition, it has a corporate-training division, Improv for Business, which conducts leadership training and team-building for companies such as TELUS, BC Hydro and Vancity. Our Improv for Events division regularly tours to schools and universities throughout BC.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordination and development of marketing initiatives and deliverables
- Create data-driven strategies for Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.
- Manage social media plans and content calendar to ensure that outside of campaigns, daily engagement and communication needs are being met
- Monitoring of all online review sites and engagement, as required
- Knowledge of factors influencing search engine rankings
- Coordination of digital ad buys and preparation of ongoing reporting (including paid Facebook/Instagram ads and Google AdWords)
- Coordination and writing and formatting external communications pieces, including newsletters and promotional emails
- Work with the Graphic Designer to create marketing collateral, as required
- Participation in brainstorms and idea generation with internal/external vendors and partners for ongoing marketing campaigns
- Support of the internal teams, as required
- Provide knowledge of marketing principles and marketing communication channels
- Act as project manager for all video creation
- Degree in marketing and/or social media marketing – essential
- Google AdWords/Analytics
- Proficient in using social media platforms: Facebook/Twitter/Instagram/Linkedin/Google +
- Proficient in Word Press
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite of tools
- Some experience working with TheatreManager ticket sales program
Key Traits a Successful Candidate Must Possess:
- Team player who enjoys engaging with others
- Efficient multitasker with effective problem solving skills
- Excellent writing and proof reading skills
- Able to meet deadlines in a timely manner
- Self-motivated, flexible and enthusiastic
- Outstanding relationship building and communication skills
- Thrives in an open-area, fast-paced environment
- Photography experience, strong eye for aesthetics
- Highly organized
- Passionate about theatre and its role in the community
- Sense of humour
- Embraces the concept of ‘yes, and…’
37.5 hours per week (1,950 hours per year), some additional hours are required from time-to-time on evenings and weekends. This is compensated through pay period flex scheduling.
Compensation: Hourly. Starting wage $20 per hour plus paid vacation and limited benefits.
Application Deadline: Friday, Sept.1 2017 1 p.m.
Please submit your cover letter, resume and links to your social media examples to:
Vancouver TheatreSports™ League
1515 Anderson Street, Vancouver, B.C., V6H 3R5
Only successful applicants will be contacted for an interview. Thank you for your interest.
We’re looking for someone special – someone like you. Do you love to laugh? Are you seeking a rewarding volunteer experience coupled with side-splitting, tear-inducing laughter? Would you like to make new friends? Then we are just the place for you!
Vancouver TheatreSports League is seeking energetic, engaging, outgoing people to join our team of fabulous volunteers. VTSL has been entertaining audiences more than 30 years and we are seeking special people to assist our guests and support our activities.
Volunteer opportunities are available during regular weekly shows as well as at special events.
Typical positions include:
- Ushers are eyes and ears inside the theatre during shows and are important to the quality control of the guest experience.
- Ushers assist the Front of House team in re-setting the theatre between shows
- Ushers assist the Front of House Manager – assisting guests find their seats, distributing programs, answering questions.
- Hosts assist the Front of House team and Box Office with greeting guests upon their arrival at The Improv Centre for shows and special events. Hosts also assist guests with picking up ‘Will Call’ tickets.
- Assist with venue set-up for. This could include activities such as: assembling, and setting tables, assisting with room décor, moving furniture, putting up banners. Some lifting is usually involved.
Food & Beverage
- Bussing of tables
- Assisting pouring wine during special events (Serving it Right is required)
- Selling 50/50 tickets to guests during special events
- Handling cash and tickets
VTSL volunteer requirements:
- 19+ years of age
- able to commit to a minimum of 30 hours per year
- fluent in written and verbal English
- consent to a Criminal Record Check
- ‘yes and…’ attitude
- loves to laugh and has a sense of humour
- thrives in a face-paced environment
- willing to learn
We invite you to join our merry band. Apply online today to join VTSL’s volunteer team.