In-house Graphic Designer
Summary of the Position:
Vancouver TheatreSports™ (VTS) is seeking an in-house graphic designer/website manager. This is a temporary (3 & half months), full-time position starting January 8. Reporting to the Director of Marketing, this varied position entails designing a range of print and digital collateral in support of VTS’ programming and brand as well as maintaining our Word Press website. Typical projects include (but are not limited to): print and digital display ads, posters, show programs, signage, marketing/promotional brochures, transit advertising and banners. In conjunction with our contracted website developer this position maintains the website on a daily basis uploading updated or new information such as cast lists, media releases and new show information. Other incidental duties include designing and implementing the décor for special events/receptions, assisting at some special events and art directing photo shoots.
This position is ideal for a graphic designer who:
- enjoys a collegial and fast-paced environment
- thrives under pressure and tight deadlines
- is able to juggle a number of different projects at once
- takes the initiative to contribute as a member of a creative, dynamic team
In 1980 a group of Vancouver actors came together, formed a co-op and experimented with a newly evolving theatre genre, TheatreSports™, which gave birth to the entire realm of improv comedy. Since then the company has evolved to become Vancouver’s, and one of North America’s, leading improv comedy companies – Vancouver TheatreSports™, with an annual budget in excess of $2 million. A registered not-for-profit charity, VTS provides employment for nearly 70 people (cast, admin staff, front-of-house staff, bar staff) and owns its own theatre, The Improv Centre – a fully-licensed venue with a Bar & Lounge on Granville Island. VTS currently performs 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year producing close to 600 individual performances that attract more than 60,000 patrons each year. It also operates a fully professional theatre school, The Improv Comedy Institute. In addition, it has a corporate-training division, Improv for Business, which conducts leadership training and team-building for companies such as TELUS, BC Hydro and Vancity. Our school tours division regularly tours to schools and universities throughout BC.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create and manage graphic files (both print & digital) supporting all VTS campaigns and programs
- Liaise with multiple marketing distribution channels to ensure on-deadline delivery of materials
- Source and manage print and other production suppliers
- Manage the VTS website and implement updates/changes as necessary
- Liaise with VTS’ contracted web developer as required
- Assist with the design and implementation of décor for events such as opening receptions
- Support various departments with graphic design as required
- Art direct photo shoots
- Provide creative consultation for various projects as required
- Proficient in Photoshop
- Proficient in Illustrator
- Proficient in InDesign
- Proficient in Word Press
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite of tools
- Photography and video editing skills are an asset
Key Traits a Successful Candidate Must Possess:
- Efficient multitasker with effective problem-solving skills
- Able to meet deadlines in a timely manner
- Self-motivated, flexible and enthusiastic
- Outstanding relationship building and communication skills
- Thrives in an open-area, fast-paced environment
- Attention to detail
- Conceptual creative thinker able to understand the ‘big picture’
- Commitment to meeting policy and procedures
- Ability to work in partnership with a team and accept creative direction
- Sense of humour
- Embraces the concept of ‘yes, and…’
Hours: 37.5 hours per week, some additional over-time may be required from time-to-time on evenings and weekends. This is compensated through ‘in lieu’ time.
Compensation: Hourly, starting wage $20/hr, plus paid vacation and limited benefits.
Application Deadline: Mon, Dec.16, 2019
To Apply: Please submit your cover letter, resume and at least two examples of your design work or a link to online portfolio to:
Vancouver TheatreSports™ League
1515 Anderson Street, Vancouver, B.C., V6H 3R5
Only successful applicants will be contacted for an interview. Thank you for your interest.
We’re looking for someone special – someone like you. Do you love to laugh? Are you seeking a rewarding volunteer experience coupled with side-splitting, tear-inducing laughter? Would you like to make new friends? Then we are just the place for you!
Vancouver TheatreSports is seeking energetic, engaging, outgoing people to join our team of fabulous volunteers. VTS has been entertaining audiences more than 30 years and we are seeking special people to assist our guests and support our activities.
Volunteer opportunities are available during regular weekly shows as well as at special events.
Typical positions include:
- Ushers are eyes and ears inside the theatre during shows and are important to the quality control of the guest experience.
- Ushers assist the Front of House team in re-setting the theatre between shows
- Ushers assist the Front of House Manager – assisting guests find their seats, distributing programs, answering questions.
- Hosts assist the Front of House team and Box Office with greeting guests upon their arrival at The Improv Centre for shows and special events. Hosts also assist guests with picking up ‘Will Call’ tickets.
- Assist with venue set-up for special events. This could include activities such as: assembling, and setting tables, assisting with room décor, moving furniture, putting up banners. Some lifting is usually involved.
Food & Beverage
- Bussing of tables
- Assisting pouring wine during special events (Serving it Right is required)
- Selling 50/50 tickets to guests during special events
- Handling cash and tickets
VTS volunteer requirements:
- 19+ years of age
- able to commit to a minimum of 30 hours per year
- fluent in written and verbal English
- consent to a Criminal Record Check
- ‘yes and…’ attitude
- loves to laugh and has a sense of humour
- thrives in a fast-paced environment
- willing to learn
We invite you to join our merry band. Apply online today to join VTS’ volunteer team.