Ensemble - Mainstage, ICI Instructor
- Joined VTSL: 1997
- Ellen is a graduate of the BFA Acting program at the University of Alberta
- She is co-creator of VTSL’s very popular ImprovMusical
- Award: 1992-93 Jessie Richardson Award, Best Ensemble’ for All Grown Up, A Girl Group Musical
- Other theatre:
- Friday Night Live, a musical improv based group in Lynn Valley
- Bard on the Beach, Will Shakespeare’s Improv Musical (2015)
- TV credits:
- Prison Break
- My Little Pony
- In addition to My Little Pony,Ellen has also worked extensively in voiceover and can be heard in hundreds of episodes of animation and anime series including, Dinosaur Train, Krypto, the Superdog, Hamtaro, Dragonball Z
- IMDB Profile
- Favourite VTSL role: The Queen, Star Trick The Musical
- Favourite movie: A Clockwork Orange
- Comic inspirations: Carol Burnett and Amy Poehler
How did improv change your life?
“I started out my career as an actor doing scripted plays and some on camera work and I was absolutely terrified of improv! It wasn’t part of the high school drama curriculum back in the day so it was kind of foreign to me. The first time I went to TheatreSports at the Back Alley Theatre, I loved it but thought, “ I could never do that!” I’m really glad I got up the courage to take some workshops and then finally audition for the Improvisors’ Training Program because it really did change my life.
I think I became a better actor because I became more confident and I certainly became much better at doing auditions. So many of the principals of improv, like being in the moment, saying “yes” to things, and not being afraid to make mistakes, translate to many aspects of life. The great side effect is that improv attracts a lot of amazing people and I have made some deep, and sometimes unexpected friendships over the years.”
ICI instructor bio:
Ellen is a graduate of the BFA Acting program at the University of Alberta and has performed in scripted plays across Canada and parts of the States. She co-wrote and won an ensemble cast Jessie Richardson Award for All Grown Up, A Girl Group Musical that premiered at the Arts Club Theatre. Ellen has also worked extensively in voiceover and can be heard in hundreds of episodes of animation and anime series including, Dinosaur Train, My Little Pony, Krypto, The Superdog, Hamtaro, and Dragonball Z, to name a few.
As an improviser, Ellen joined VTSL in 1997 and has performed regularly in main stage shows, corporate events, and school tours. She was a regular member and co-creator of the Improv Musical that ran at the Improv Centre for over two years. Ellen is also a cast member at Friday Night Live, a musical improv based group in Lynn Valley who have been performing for four years. Last summer, Ellen performed in William Shakespeare’s Improv Musical as part of the 25th anniversary of Bard On The Beach.