Box Office Attendant
Posted on: June 4, 2018 | Application deadline: until filled
Summary of the Position
VTS Seeks Rare Individual. Are you that rare combination of detail oriented and out-going people person? Would you like to work in a fast-paced environment and for a company that is in the business of laughter? If the answer is ‘yes,’ we have an opportunity for you. Vancouver TheatreSports™ (VTS) is seeking a dynamic, engaging, individual to join the Box Office Team at The Improv Centre on Granville Island.
This position is the first point of contact for guests at The Improv Centre and as such you are the face of VTSL to our patrons. Your primary responsibility is to provide guests with a positive and professional experience while communicating show/program information and processing ticket sales. This position reports to the Customer Service Manager and Audience Services Manager and also works closely with the Front of House team to maintain a high level of customer satisfaction.
Why work for VTSL? VTSL staff become a member of the VTSL Family helping bring laughter to the world as well as each other. Come join the team that laughs together where you will leave feeling appreciated and a part of something bigger. Your Laughter means everything to us!
VTSL, a non-profit registered charitable organization, began in 1980 and is now a local institution and a worldwide phenomenon, producing and staging some of the most daring and innovative improv in the world. Vancouver TheatreSports™ first opened their doors at the Back Alley Theatre, where they consistently drew cult-like, capacity crowds. We continue to wow audiences at The Improv Centre on Granville Island performing to more than 65,000 enthusiasts yearly, 6 nights a week, 52 weeks per year.
The names of VTS players and alumni are a veritable who’s who of the North American entertainment and improv scenes, such as Colin Mochrie and Ryan Stiles (Whose Line is it Anyway), Nancy Robertson (Corner Gas) and Ellie Harvie (The New Addams Family).
In addition to shows at The Improv Centre, VTS performs at custom tailored shows for corporations, associations and non-for-profit organizations. We offer corporate training focused on enhancing teamwork, communication, creativity and innovation in the workplace. We are also dedicated to teaching youth about improv and tour throughout British Columbia performing for students of all ages.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide a positive experience for all guests at all times
- Facilitate all ticket transactions through Theatre Manager ticketing system
- Maintain detailed records and data while ensuring operational policies and procedures are met and followed
- Box Office reconciliations, cash deposits and reporting
- Troubleshoot minor computer, printer and credit card scanner problems
- Experience with Theatre Manager Ticketing software or other event ticketing program experience is an asset (e.g. Tessitura, Ticket Master)
- Minimum 2 years of cash-handling experience, preferably in a Box Office environment
- Excellent customer service and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to thrive within a fast paced environment and enjoy working directly with the public
- Strong time management skills and the ability to multi-task with little supervision
- Attention to detail, accuracy and quality control with a commitment to meeting policy and procedures
- Ability to follow written instructions and to troubleshoot, problem solve and adapt to changes when required
- Proficient utilizing MS Word, Excel and Outlook
Working Conditions: Part-time, 4 to 20 hours per week. Candidates must be available evenings, weekends and holidays as well as limited day time hours. Most shifts start at 5:30pm and run as late as 12am
Remuneration: $13.50/ hour
Please submit your resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Attn: Customer Service Manager
Please include in subject line: Box Office Attendant
We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls please.
We’re looking for someone special – someone like you. Do you love to laugh? Are you seeking a rewarding volunteer experience coupled with side-splitting, tear-inducing laughter? Would you like to make new friends? Then we are just the place for you!
Vancouver TheatreSports League is seeking energetic, engaging, outgoing people to join our team of fabulous volunteers. VTSL has been entertaining audiences more than 30 years and we are seeking special people to assist our guests and support our activities.
Volunteer opportunities are available during regular weekly shows as well as at special events.
Typical positions include:
- Ushers are eyes and ears inside the theatre during shows and are important to the quality control of the guest experience.
- Ushers assist the Front of House team in re-setting the theatre between shows
- Ushers assist the Front of House Manager – assisting guests find their seats, distributing programs, answering questions.
- Hosts assist the Front of House team and Box Office with greeting guests upon their arrival at The Improv Centre for shows and special events. Hosts also assist guests with picking up ‘Will Call’ tickets.
- Assist with venue set-up for. This could include activities such as: assembling, and setting tables, assisting with room décor, moving furniture, putting up banners. Some lifting is usually involved.
Food & Beverage
- Bussing of tables
- Assisting pouring wine during special events (Serving it Right is required)
- Selling 50/50 tickets to guests during special events
- Handling cash and tickets
VTSL volunteer requirements:
- 19+ years of age
- able to commit to a minimum of 30 hours per year
- fluent in written and verbal English
- consent to a Criminal Record Check
- ‘yes and…’ attitude
- loves to laugh and has a sense of humour
- thrives in a fast-paced environment
- willing to learn
We invite you to join our merry band. Apply online today to join VTSL’s volunteer team.